Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Back at Topia, the international centre. Thanks goodness for a regular (well-- regular to me) keyboard and a sober mind. Things have been cookin', and it's hard to believe that I've only been in Japan for three weeks and a day.

My very first kid's class was a dream. A well-ordered line up of seven 6-8 year old girls trooped into my class and got their homework out for me to check. We played several games, and they remembered how to say all of the English words I was teaching them: "Shorts, Jacket, Sneakers, Pants, T-Shirt, Cap". Flash cards were handed back neatly with a softly spoken "here you are." I couldn't believe how lovely and smooth it all was... then my second kid's class happened. It was a nightmare. Little boys grabbing their crothes and yelling "PANTS! Wa-HA-HA-HA!" (at least they remembered how to say "Pants"). Jumping on the couches. Colouring the carpet with their pencils. Shoving, pushing, generally ignoring me. By the end of the 40 minutes (thank GOD it was only 40 minutes) I was a wreck. My two adult lessons following were a mess-- I was so shaken up I brought in the wrong textbooks to class and had trouble focusing on the students. If only I was allowed to speak Japanese in class! I would say, "You are shaming your family with your behaivor. Please be respectful." (or something similarly dignified and embarassing for them to hear) . However, it being an English immersion class, all I can do is cross my forearms (the Japanese way to say "Stop","No","Wrong" or "Not Allowed") and say firmly-- "NO! OK? NO!"

It's pretty stupid.

Life has been interesting-- I'm now a recognized face at Big Brothers and the staff always get folks to move along the counter to make room for me, as it's my preferred place to sit. Sitting at the counter, you can talk with Norm, who's been running Big Brothers with another dude since 1995. If I need anything-- information, reccomendations, peanut butter-- Norm's the guy to ask. He's an incredible hulk of a guy, 6'5", with a wicked dirty sense of humor and a fabulous brownie recipe. He speaks fluent Japanese, and has a penchant for Onsens (hot springs)-- I think he and his girlfriend are trying to write a travel guide based solely on where all the best Onsens are. I was in there today with Jon (my co-worker from Idaho) and the conversation ranged from Japanese love-hotels to what Letterman had to say about the Vice President shooting that other fellow whilst quail-hunting (it was the first I'd heard of it). After lunch, Jon and I went to Tokushima Central Park to look for the massive spiders that Jon keeps talking about-- but it's been raining heavily lately, and all we could find were bits of web.

Tokushima Central Park is my latest discovery, and currently my greatest joy. The park circles around the base of a jungly hill that used to be the site of Tokushima Castle, so there is still the moat on one side, and the river on the other. Each part of the base-park is differest from the next-- deep shadowy wild ponds with long-legged white birds foraging in the shallows, stoic looking rock gardens, a pretty waterfall gushing into a wide shallow pool, golden with algae... It's a dream just to coast on my bike round and round. There are some interesting sculptures in the gardens too, and of course many cultured trees looking like the greenery from The Mario Brothers games on the old Nintendo system. I can already imagine the park in the summer, drenched in wet heat and the buzzing whirr of cicadas...

As for now, it's still wet and cold. I wish that I had a dryer-- last night when I went to play card's at Shona and Denise's place, I ended up hanging my pants over a chair and wearing a pair of Shona's "trackies" (sweat pants)... they were dry by the time I left for my place, but wet again when I got there, and still damp this morning. The washing machine in my place is still an evil little machine and continues to make my laundry dirtier than when it went in-- it also makes horrific noises that continually surprise me into thinking someone is trying to break in. The one good thing about the appliances in my place is the heated toilet seat. Ahh, I feel relaxed even as I think about it... heated toilet seat. Nothing like coming home, soggy and chilled froom tooling around on the bike, and sitting down on that blessed warm ring. I'm a sucker for small pleasures!

I was out again at Ingrid's International karaoke bar on tuesday night-- another goodbye party for Shona (and she'll have another on Saturday- I tell you, these Aussies like to party!) I dressed up in a black dress and fish-net stockings and heels, and put flowers in my hair, painted my mouth bright red, and rode my bike through to the Shin Machi (Night District). It was fun to watch the heads spin, as most of us foriegn girls here do all of our living in jeans (unless of course we're going to work; but then we look like Mormons). I got a chance to talk with Ingrid as it was quiet (aside from the cauterwailing of us five Nova employees and the one Japanese patron of the bar) and found her to be a fascinating lady. She's a gorgeous little Philipino lady, and she's been in Tokushima for 13 years. When I asked why she came, she wouldn't explain as it was "a long story," and the question made her look wary and a little sad. However, she speaks 5 languages, is very engaging, and has a knack for remembering everyone's name and what they like to drink. The perfect hostess. Her bar is THE place for the international community of Tokushima to unwind. That night I was hit on for the first time by a Japanese fellow-- the only one in the bar. He was round and bald as the Buddah, and works as a cook in a restaurant; he wants to open his own Italian restaurant. Funnily enough, his name is Katsu, which means 'deep fried' in Japanese. His overtures consisted of the following-- keep in mind that he spoke absolutely deadpan, with no trace of emotion:

Katsu: "I have seen you many times."
Endrene: "Really? I don't think so, I've only been in Tokushima for 3 weeks!"
Katsu: "You are kawaii." ('kawaii is 'cute')
Endrene: "Oh, no. I don't think so!" (which is the appropriate response in Japan-- apparently it's very rude to agree with a compliment. If someone says your sister is pretty, you have to say, "Oh no. She's such a dog".)
Katsu: "Yes. Vey kawaii. I tell no lie."
Endrene: "Oh... well..."
Katsu: "I will see you again. I want to open my own restaurant. I work very much."

Anyway, it was kind of fun and funny. I didn't make any plans to see him again or anything, which is completely for the best. Besides, I think he's got me mixed up with the only other busty blonde chick in Tokushima. I think she's an American, working at one of the other English schools.

That's all for today. See you next time, Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel!

No comments: