Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kid at work shot a nail through his finger about ½ an hour ago, securing his hand to a pallet… Randy had to get the circular saw to cut him free, and off he went in the ambulance, chunk of pallet still attached. Yikes.

Needless to say everything here kind of ground to a halt; I was in the middle of orientation with the new girl when they brought him through the office. Not surprisingly, we had just covered the part of the training that involved safety, and I rattled through the bit about not pulling a nail out of yourself if you got shot. I can be laissez-faire enough when I describe the safety rules, but to actually witness it is another story. Again, Yikes I say.

Yeah, I still work at a pallet factory, in the office. I finally signed my position contracts yesterday, and I am now more clearly defined. Now I am no longer just an ‘Office Worker’—I am an ‘Executive Assistant’/’Research and Development Associate’. Today is my one-year anniversary of working here. It is also my dish-day.

I’ve written manuals, found obscure phone numbers on the magical internet, composed training checklists, developed systems for increased employee retention and better recruitment, and listened to a lot of raunchy stories from Sarah. I have made databases and newspaper ads and technical drawings of pallets. I have fielded calls and drawn up quotes. I have not built a single pallet, and luckily have never shot myself with a nail gun. It has been an interesting year.

I wonder where I’ll be, and what I’ll be learning this time next year?

3 comments:

Lovely Leslie said...

Congrats on the title! reading about all you do makes my head spin, better you than me LOL!

I hope the guy with nailed hand will be alright.

Lady K said...

Though you do a variety of different things, I think they are under utilizing you... You could be making the most architectural, artistical, fantastical, not utilitarian palettes ever...

I had a dream last night that I was re-hired to manage a new Opus last night. Ugh!

I hope the guy survives the nail gun incident...

endrene said...

He lived. They pulled the nails right THROUGH his finger to get them out, poor little bugger. Ughhh... I get dizzy just thinking about it.