Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Hit a wall. Felt like the honeymoon was over this past week; just wanted a real barbeque, a campfire, a conversation in real English (and not about teaching or what's right/wrong with Japan). Contributing factors: 1) A bout of tonsilitis and getting lost while looking for the hospital. 2) A new room-mate is coming, potentially making our cosy Boobie Palace (as it has been dubbed by some perceptive local gaijin) even cosier, possibly crazier. 3) Tactless Japanese men. "Oh, En-Chan-- your apartment is not so small. It seems small, you and Joanna are so fat! Wa haha!" Yeah. Funny. 4) Drunk neighboor from upstairs coming home at 4 am... to the wrong apartment. When the doorbell rings and someone's pounding on the door at that time of day, you can only assume there's some sort of emergency!! My adreneline kicked into high gear as I peered through the peephole to see an angry looking Japanese guy trying to fit his key in our lock... Joanna said not to open the door, but by that point I was delerious with fright and aggression (don't know what my plan was exactly) so I opened the door and told him to go away, but he'd already heard our unfamiliar voices through the door and had taken off. Thank goodness. Met his wife in the elevator yesterday, and she only commented on the weather, so I assume he didn't say anything to her!

Had a good long chat with Maz at work yesterday, and she assured me that most foriegners hit a point where the work starts to seem repetitive and they long for the comforts of home; it was good to hear that what I was going through was normal. At any rate, I'm back to good now-- straightened my shoulders and adjusted the attitude. Eating a box of Kraft Dinner helped, too! (thanks again, Tony!)

Anyway, I thought for a laugh I would share some of my favorite Engrish text-messages. My Japanese friends sometimes send the funniest things to my cell phone, and I love them for it!

From Yuta:

Sorry! I entered and ordered menu. But I wait to come you!

From Bubu:

Please call me after work. We have to talk more about your ploblem. OK? You likes make me surprise.

And then about next topics. this is very important problems. We ate levers last night, but that levers were special one. If you buy it in supermarket it is dangeras to eat. If you want to eat levers please ask me. OK?

From Yasu:

I am in sick bay of ship named the Grandma! But, the captain is absent now, so I am lonely... It's a joke! I think you will be tired to work with sick. So hang in there!

From Shin:

By the way, Endrene, recently DANIEL POWTER is in fashion!! He is singer. He plays piano very well. Now, He is the most famous canadian in the world!! Do you know??


Betcha Daniel Powter didn't know he was the most famous Canadian in the world! But here, Japan IS the world, so if he's famous in Japan...
Anyway, to balance out my earlier nagativity, I'll list some of the things I absolutely LOVE about living here.

1) The strawberries. The happiest, sweetest, most asthetically pleasing strawberries ever!
2) The fish section in the grocery store-- it's so beautiful! So many different types and sizes and colours, all variety of clam and shellfish and seaweed... I just like to look and breathe in the salty ocean tang.
3) Yaki Nikku! Ohhhh, luscious, melt-in your-mouth Kobe beef...
4) Hanging up my wash to dry... it's quite a calming activity. I never thought I would feel that way...
5) Onsens! Bathing in the hotsprings with other women feels like a very ancient and restorative practice. I really feel like I'm in Japan when I'm at an onsen.
6) The celebration of every season. Not only do the foods change with each sub-season (late winter, early spring, spring, early summer and so on), but so do the fashions, the house decorations, the beverages sold at the supermarket... etcetera!

1 comment:

Caramel Fritter said...

Endrene, we have been bad friends, we have not sent you the care packages that we planned to, nor have i anyway e-mailed ect enough to stave this loning for home. As if i yabbered to you enough i am sure you would be happy that you don't have to listen to me ramble all the time. Kidding. Anyway, Jessicas brother is here, still unsure of his plans for Japan. He will be there for a week. Oh the Hot Donut Mag has been delayed so if you have anything for the anything issue let me know. Uhhhh. I like weird looking food too, just not a big fan of fish with lots of bones in them, especialy if they are battered and deep fried... you never expect the bones then.. and they can hurt (experience from austrailia). Cheers.
ME.