Thursday, June 29, 2006

I feel like everything and nothing has happened since I was here last. Last week was an insane week of busy merrymaking, starting with Kat's arrival and the perfunctory night out to welcome her at Ingrid's, and culminating with Ingrid's birthday party at P Paradise. In between were nearly three days of celebrating Joanna's birthday-- involving a crammed party at the Boobie Palace (our apartment), a night out at Ingrid's (where else?) a night out at the onsen, and kaiten sushi (the kind that goes past you on a conveyeur). There was also a Goodbye party for Dan and Jon, and a Hello party for Andy and Kat-- Kat couldn't make it because she's training in Okoyama! Turns out that Kat is not only a cool chick, she's also a vegetarian, so she and Joanna are well matched. I don't feel so bad about leaving for my new apartment... if I ever get my act together and properly move out. Right now half my belongings are in the new apartment, but all things useful (my clothes, makeup, futon) are still at the Boobie Palace. Think I might be suffering a little separation anxiety? I'll miss waking up to a cup of tea and a bit of gossip with Joanna. Ah well... nothing gold can stay...

I ditched Ingrid's party early-- fabulous though it was. You should have seen her decked out in her stunning red gown and sparkling tiara; she looked like a contestant for the Miss Universe competition! It seemed like nearly the entire gaijin population of Tokushima was there-- for a few pictures, you can check out Dani's blog: http://www.daniinjapan.blogspot.com -- I haven't met her yet, but she's living somewhere in this city too, and she knows how to attach pictures to her blog. Anyhow, I was feeling a little fed up with getting dressed up and being charming and avoiding the things that really needed doing-- such as preparing for July's art show and packing my belongings for the move. I decided to walk home, although I should have trusted my instincts and taken a taxi. I was dressed to the nines in a cunning black cocktail dress and high black heels, long rhinestone-and-gold dangly earings, my hair piled high on my head-- as per Ingrid's instructions (" You must dress up, look fabulous for my birthday, darling!"). I realized that I perhaps looked a little racy for stalking the streets of Tokushima, but as nothing dangerous had occured before, I figured I would be alright. Well, that was a stupid assumption. I walked facing traffic, as I didn't want any cars sneaking up behind me, but one guy got a good look and circled the block, pulling in to a sidestreet I passed. He was standing by his car as I walked by, and said "hello,"-- I responded with "konbanwa" (good evening) and kept walking. He started asking me to come with him, just for one coffee, just for a little talking, but I said no thank you, no thank you, and kept hurriedly walking on. I was nearing my own side street where I would turn to get to the apartment, and was just beginnning to calm down when a car pulled onto the sidewalk in front of me, blocking my path. I stood well back, not sure what to think. The driver pulled forward and back several times, never completely clearing the sidewalk so I could pass, so I just hung back, baffled. Finally he rolled down the window and asked, "where you from?" Now completely freaked out, I waved my hand in the "No" gesture and said "No thank you!" and scooted around his car and around the corner onto my side street-- I didn't feel safe though, and so ducked into an alley and pressed myself flat against a wall. Sure enough just a moment later, he came slowly cruising in his car down the street looking for me. I scampered home, ducking into alleys whenever I heard a car coming-- once safe inside the apartment, I sent a frantic message to Yoshino, who kindly equipped me the next day with the number for the English-speaking police and a rape alarm. "Why do you attract offenders?" He asked me. Gee whiz, I dunno-- maybe because I inspire fantasy? Let's face it, Japan has a pretty repressed society, and repression can lead to some pretty kinky behavior. You need only count the number and variety of Love Hotels and Soap Shops to know that there is an undercurrent of desperate sexuality behind all of these good manners and gentle kindnesses.

Anyway, I'm off today-- Joanna and I were going to go to the beach, but it's raining, so I'll just keep plugging along with the moving-- which is proabably the better choice anyway. This afternoon were are going to be the welcoming committee for yet another new teacher. 'Tis the season for new recruits!

Until next time,

Endrene

1 comment:

Lady K said...

Oh, I can totally relate. It's scarier when they speak a different language too! You can't tell them to put it where the sun don't shine and expect them to understand the subtlety of the twisting barbs slowly leaving their body...

Tell me more about the art show... Though I'm figuring they are all going to be about karaoke and partying as that's what you've been researching.