Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What a fan-frickin-tabulous day! Living alone has major benefits... like, I actually get things done! Yesterday I was organized enough to do all of my laundry and take the last of my paintings to the frame shop in Akita Machi. So when I woke up this morning and realized that A) I didn't have to work until 4 PM and B) The sun was shining and a breeze was blowing-- of course I decided that it was Endrene-Adventure time! I slapped on the SPF 45 and strapped on the red bikini that mom sent in February, loaded up a bag with the essentials; towel, sunglasses, what-have-you. I trundled my mama-chari bike over to the Kiyoei and bought breakfast/lunch: om-rice, some kinda potato-salad thing, watermelon, a stawberry-coco jelly, water, iced tea, iced coffee. While shopping, I bumped into Shelley, a Japanese student of Neil's. He has this amazing custom-jewelry shop across the street from the Kiyoei called 'Kiss The Hand', so after paying for my groceries, I popped in to give him a little English Challenge before I took off for the beach. I admired his work as we tried to talk about the weather; his English is only a little better than my Japanese (which is still-- regrettably-- awful). At any rate, I managed to explain to him that I didn't mind the humidity, and that I was going to ride my bike to Komatsu beach. He managed to explain to me that I was nuts. His eyes widened as he flung his arms wide. "So far!! Water- so cold!" No, problem, I asserted, flexing my biceps. "I am a strong girl!"

The ride out was beautiful. Everything-- the fields, rice paddies, grasses at the side of the road-- is so amazingly lush and green, and the hazy pale blue of the Yoshino river was only slightly greener than the blue of the sky, so it almost looked like there was no end or beginning the the earth or heavens. The wind was just strong enough to keep me cool- with the humidity, it's the moment you stand still that you become soaked with sweat. I had forgotten how far it was to the beach, but as the road was straight and smooth along the riverside, I didn't mind a bit. When I got there, I was surprised to discover that the beach had roughly the same amount of debris on it as the last time I was there; I guess I assumed it would be spotless for beach season. The shells and chunks of driftwood I don't mind-- it's the rubber gloves and old pop cans that bother me. That aside-- I was thrilled to be there. Waves! Sun! Sand! Salty Air! Cute Japanese Surfer Dudes! I stripped off my shorts and t-shirt and wandered towards the waters edge. By the way mom, the bikini bra is padded... have you seen my breasts? Do I need padding? I think I was responsible for a few rubber-necking injuries today! I was glad to have my dark glasses so that I could peer about without being too obvious. I felt a little nervous about one older fellow who seemed to be following me a little, so I picked a spot for my bag near another gentleman who looked to be respectably self-absorbed. And in I went! The water was quite warm... I have no idea how Shelley could've thought it'd be too cold. I happily bounced and splashed and allowed myself to be buffeted by the waves as I attempted to body-surf. Respectable guy came in too, and splashed about near three joyfully screeching Japanese girls, but seemed to be keeping an eye on me. I went in and out a couple of times, taking a break to soak up the sun and eat my watermelon. Respectable guy smoked a cigarette and watched me very carefully as I did this. I had one last swim, and lost my sunglasses when a big wave whammed me; no problem, they were cheap. It was time to move on anyhow. I picked up my bag and made my way to the showers. Lo and behold, who appeared as I was rinsing off? Not-so-Repectable guy. I guess I can't really be too hard on him; he proabably just wanted to say talk, but was initially too shy. I just haven't quite gotten used to the idea that stalking is a legitimate display of interest. He hovered around a little more as I was towelling off, and then finally walked right up to me and asked where I was from. Always civil, I replied. "Canada." Then I think he asked me what I was doing here; when I said "Nova-no-sensei desu," he nodded quickly, and walked off, never to be seen again. Weird.

I went from the beach to the nearby Kawauchi Onsen to get de-gritted before going to work. The system was different than the Ebisu Onsen; when I walked up and waited expectantly at the counter, the girl looked at me like I was crazy. "Ofuru?" (Bath?) Hai, Yes, I nodded and grinned enthusiastically. She then very kindly walked me back to the entrace and showed me an enormous vending machine with a myriad of buttons... this one for the bath, that one for an oki towel, this one for a chichai towel, shampoo, bodywash, rinse. When I plugged my coins in, I half-expected the machine to spit out a towel and a bottle of shampoo, but what I got was an assortment of little tickets. Which I took to the counter. Where the girl looked at me like I was not so crazy. She handed me my towel and packets of body-cleansing goodness and I made my way into the heart of the onsen. I was surprised to find that the ladies changing area was also a smoking room, so that was kind of gross. Otherwise, the interior was not too different from Ebisu; just a lot less ornate and elaborate. There were fewer baths and only one small square outdoor pool done in ultramarine tile, but all in all it was very pleasant and relaxing-- and cleansing, which was really the whole point. I imagine that the bulk of their business comes from beach-weary Komatsu-goers. I wonder how many pounds of sand their patrons drag in from the beach every year?

Work this afternoon just sailed by; there's nothing like having a short work-day before your weekend begins. I suppose I'll have to spend friday finishing framing all of my artwork: the show is on the 25th in Naruto. There will be 4 of us-- two Americans and a British girl and I. Most of my works are small black-and-whites on paper of moments and people that have struck me over the past few months. A couple are more colorful fantasy-based watercolors with a lot of asian influence. I still have no idea how I am going to get the paintings to Naruto... At any rate, I'm psyched to have my work on display. As for tomorrow... I'm going back to the beach!

1 comment:

Lady K said...

A sand beach! We went swimming off Capri and it was all nasty rocks. I wish Paris had a beach. Sane people don't go swimming in the Seine.

Take lots of pics of your art.

And don't forget to send your new address! I sent a postcard to your old address... I hope you get it!