Monday, August 07, 2006

Another hot hot hot day. I take back what I said earlier about people not being allowed to complain... when it's 38 degrees C and humid and your company's dress code states that you must be in a business suit with a jacket at all times, I think you've earned a little complaining leeway. Luckily, as a woman, I can get away with wearing skirts and pantyhose, which are infinitely cooler than slacks, shoes, socks. Thank God. Or thank Nova. I've been here long enough now that there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two. Especially if we're talking an Old-Testament, vengeful, all-powerful, all-knowing & seeing God.

Ahem. Are you reading this, Nova? Of course you are.

Anyway, the city is getting scrubbed up for Awa Odori, and it's looking about as good as I suppose it ever will. Women in head-to-toe sun-protective gardening garb have been wading through the shrubberies, plucking out weeds and vending machine coffee cans and abandoned bicycles. Workers have been building grandstands and hanging yellow and red lanterns from every available streetlight and palm tree. There's a palapable hum in the air as people discuss what they're looking forward to (drinking and dancing on the street! the best yaki-tori and tako-yaki! rowing a boat in the Shin-Machi river!) and what they're going to wear; Maz has already painted her toenails to match the yukata she'll don. My head is spinning a little... I really don't have a clue about what it will be like... but from what I hear, it gets crazy. Apparently, this is one of THE Best Festivals in Japan. (Many people have assured me of this; even Japanese people who don't live here, and have never attended). I've got a day off, a new yukata, and some money. I'm sure it will be fun, no matter what happens.

No comments: