Monday, September 11, 2006

This Week's Highlights

Japanese Underwear!
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I finally decided to stop assuming that I couldn't find underwear in Japan, and just go try some on. I was measured, found to be of quite an acceptable size, and then set free in the wonderland of lace and frills and ribbons, all averaging about 25 bucks Canadian for an amazingly well-made bra and panty set. A hundred dollars later, there is no dirty manga character that can rival me in my frilly cuteness. Ha! Too bad I'm the only one who gets to enjoy me.

Visiting The Boobie Palace!
Most times in life, you don't get an opportunity to go back to the places you once lived. You can wonder about them, and try to imagine how the new folks have decorated, whether or not your bedroom still looks the same, that sort of thing. I was at the Palace this morning, dropping off the key for my apartment-- Joanna and Kat are going to water my plants while I'm on vacation. I was admiring the wallpaper in the WC, and thinking about this. It's not important, but I feel like a ghost haunting an altered memory when I'm there. It's weird, but it's a good feeling.

Vacation Preparation!
Tomorrow I'm off to Tokyo, Tokyo Disney Sea ( the newest theme park), Tsukuba and Sendai. I am looking forward to it the way geeks look forward to the next Star Trek novel, the way chubby kids look forward to birthday cake, the way my buddy Sarah looks forward to the next Black-Eyed Peas album! I told my Junior kids class I was going to Dinseyland and an chorus of "IIiii, Naaaaaa!" (that's coooool!) broke out. I know I'm not supposed to give my students gifts, but I would love to get them some Disney cookies or something while I'm away.

Getting A Talking-To From My 'Japanese Parents'!
Went on a 'date' with a Japanese guy I hardly knew-- this funky little guy named Taka who lived in the US for a couple of years. His English wasn't outstanding-- in particular, he overused the phrase 'too much'-- for example, Canadian and American girls are too much beautiful, American people are too much kindness. But otherwise we communicated all right. Anyway, he took me in his mom's car to Kitajima out for dinner-- I think he mostly wanted to practice his English. The restaurant was a place he used to work at, so the staff came out to visit and chat and have their portraits done by moi on the backs of reciepts. Taka confided that his girlfriend was too much beautiful, and that the next day he was going to tell her that he loved her for the first time, and that he was "too much scared, but good luck for me!" That's when I realized we weren't really on a 'date'. Anyway, after dinner he took me right home-- on the way I checked my cell phone and saw that Bubu had sent me a message: "Are you crazy? Do you want to make same mistakes as before? Do you know what I am talking about?" I didn't really, so I hopped it to his shop as soon as Taka dropped me off-- turns out Bubu and Haruko had seen me get into Taka's car (he had been parked in front of their shop) and they were both freaked out. Bubu lectured me for 1/2 an hour on how Japan isn't safe anymore, young people are dangerous and that I ought to be 'more carefully'. I was a little taken aback at first, but I did see the point of his admonishings; I really didn't know Taka very well, and riding in his car to who-knows-where was probably not the smartest thing to have done. At least I know that there are people who really care about me here.

Indigo Dyeing!
Yesterday Bubu took me out into the nearby countryside to try my hand at natural indigo dyeing, which the prefecture is famous for. I have to bring 'omiyage,' or prefectural gifts, to the Miyamotos in Tsukuba and the Umemuras in Sendai, so indigo seemed like a good idea-- even better if I had made it myself. It's done with the wax resist method-- painting on a white handerchief with a brush loaded with hot wax. Then the handerchief is dipped repeatedly into big concrete tubs filled with indigo dye-- I got to see the plants that make indigo. The process of getting the dye is quite complex, and I'd be curious to know who figured it out! The stems and flowers have to be carefully composted indoors for a certain amount of time until the resulting matter looks like cow dung; then cooked (?) in alkaline water to get the dye. Anyway, it was really fun and rustic-- the studio had a dirt-and-concrete floor, and the Dye Master was a fluffy-haired Japanese hippy, very gentle and earthy. I'm looking forward to going again.

Anyway-- I best get home and pack... I'm on Vacation countdown!!

Namaste

Endrene

2 comments:

Lady K said...

This is how indigo dye was invented:

"Hey, this cow turdy stuff looks like it will burn well. Let's build a fire on it!"

The fire is all done up and cackling nicely.

"Ugh, now I'm too hot! Let's pour water on tha fire! What's that blue stuff leaking from the fire? That color would make a pretty top..."

Caramel Fritter said...

thanks fer the explanation lady K i thought things were invented by dumb ass lads on camping trips ... hey why dont we do this???? it will be funny then we can throw it at someone.... the recipiant getting an indigo shirt, or face or what have you.
Do they eat prarie oysters in Japan? they ere supposed to be tasty too.
Remember Shawn and Alex? you met them (probably more often) at Glen and Allisons party in White Rock... I am pretty sure you were there?? anyway they are getting married so Lady K and jess and I will be converging in vancouver soon. Wish you could be there although cow tounge shopping does sound tempting.
cheers.