Monday, October 02, 2006

Everyday I am faced with little surprises of understanding-- for example, today when I came into the internet cafe and the proprietress told me "san-ju-ban" I didn't hesitate to walk to cubicle number thirty. I didn't even have to interpret her words in my head-- I just knew. Language is such a strange concept, when you think about it. All these little noises like codes to be intercepted and recieved... and so much of what we say has no use whatsoever, no real purpose for furthering a discussion or improving a situation. That said, it's nice to know whether a discussion is being advanced or not. Yesterday morning when I got into the elevator, I said 'Ohaiyo gozaimasu' (good morning) to the petite 40ish man in the elevator. He responded in kind, and then went on to express his surprise at my ability to say good morning, and to compliment my Japanese ability. I don't take this seriously anymore; you could say 'dozo' (please) and get a compliment. So the most important phrase I have learned so far has been, "Iie, jouzu ja arimasen," (No, I don't have any skill). He laughed at this, and continued talking as patted my waist to gently encourage me out of the elevator before him. But he had forgotten that the anatomy of a woman two feet taller than he might be a little different, and he inadvertantly missed my waist and patted my bottom. I know that it was a mistake as he was quite shocked at the bounce of the flesh he had touched and was quite suddenly brisk and red-faced as we left the building.

Jouzu ja arimasen.

Time is rocketing, as it has a tendency to do as we age. Each year becomes a smaller percentage of your overall lifespan, and therefore goes by a lot more quickly. When you're two, one year is 50% of your life. Now, one year is only 3.7% of my life. Next year will be 3.57%. And so on. I7m feeling compelled to consider What's Next with a new intensity. How long will I stay in Japan? Where do I see myself in five years, ten years? In what financial situation, in what country? Are there kids, a family, a dog, a cat, a house? Or am I living in a van down by the river, shelling wild peas and chopping firewood? If there's one thing I can count on, it's for life to offer me some unforseeable twists and turns. If I'd followed my plan as I had imagined it at the age of eighteen, I'd be married with two kids, making my living as an artist and living on Vancouver Island as of now. Here I am, single and fabulous, sleeping on a futon and teaching English on the other side of the world. I guess I should just keep being myself, wide open and ready for whatever comes next.

****

And as an addemendum, yes, I did miss Alex, Dan and Jon when I was mentioning departed (as in resigned) NOVA employees. Sorry Alex! And I'm REALLY sorry Dan! (whom I should NOT have forgotten, seeing as he was my manager at Kitajima!) As for Jon-- no apologies neccesary. He left NOVA, but he didn't leave town! I still see him in the grocery store.

3 comments:

Lady K said...

That totally makes sense about the percentages of aging! I've never thought about it quite like that before.

You are single and fabulous and doing things in a spectacularly, Endrene', fashion. Trust me, no one else is like you! And while that's a shame, (the world could use more) it makes you unique and precious. Don't you forget it!

phone_phobic said...

I think there's something in the universal air blowing uncertainty and introspection. I think you and lady k should join us here on Vancouver Island..next year I am growing peas and there's definately room for a van.

By the way, your boyfriend's hot...he looks a lot like you.

phone_phobic said...

oh ya one more plug for the hot donut magazine. Get your pages in! Ok..now you've discovered images via phone take a snap of a page and we'll publish it!