Friday, October 20, 2006

I sent an email out to some of my friends, asking them to define me in one word. I don' t usually do the forwarded email thing, but seeing as I'd been feeling a little lost lately, I figured I had the karmic go-ahead for fishing for a little character reassurance. Here are the replies I've gotten so far, in alphabetical order (thanks everybody!):

Ananda (RF)
Audacious (TM)
Brilliant (BCW)
Canadian (MB) (Uh, duhhh. Thanks, Mike!)
Cordate (SC)
Free (AM)
QUIDNUNC (JT) (Yeah, I dunno what it means either...)
Radical! (MM)
Renaissance (AB)
Unique (JM and KD)

For the record, Ananda was a principle disciple of the Buddha, and the guardian of the Dhama; an Audacious person is someone who is unrestrained by convention or proprietry; and Cordate means 'to have a heart-shaped outline'. Again, thanks to those who replied. You kind of put me back on the centre track.

To see what I was doing on tuesday night, check out this address. http://picasaweb.google.com/lairdtravis/DrinkDrinkDanceDance Let's just say, I wanted to go and eat yakitori, but No-o-o-oooo. Neil had already eaten, so I hung out with Neil and Travis and consumed copious amounts of Kirin Lager instead. The dancing began when Jamiroquoi came on-- I cannot sit still when Jamiroquoi is on-- and it progressed into a full-scale three-person dance extravaganza. Nothing else for me to do but dance-- had candy in my heels that night, baby! Neil is my dance partner in the photos-- our dancing was pretty sloppy in part because I have the annoying habit of trying to lead. And if you look at the pictures, you'll see that Neil is not of the leadable size variety.

Culture-wise, all is well. I still get a lesson from Bubu every time I go in to his shop (whether I want one or not), which I do at least once a week. Today I was carefully informed to use a respectful form of the verb 'go' in most of my everyday dealings. However, I don't really know how to use verbs at all, so it was a bit of a confusing lesson! I'm also going on a two-day jaunt to Kurashiki next week, so Bubu and Haruko were making me take notes on where to go and what to see. Kurashiki is on Honshu, close to Okayama-- it's a bit of a cultural centre. It was left completely unravaged by WWII, so there will be lots of old architecture to enjoy. I had planned to go yesterday and today, but it was a spur-of the moment plan (wake up, stuff a backpack, walk to the station and ask "Kurashiki ni ikitai?") and I had missed the bus by the time I got to the station. Undaunted, I bought tickets for next week. Initially, Bubu was horrified: "Who will go with you? No-one?! Unbelievable!" He told me that the city is crawling with yakuza at night-time, and to watch out for any cars with triple-digit licencse plates-- those are the yakuza cars. I don't know what a yakuza would want with me! But seeing as I am keeping my activities strictly daytime-based-- art galleries and what-have-you, I should be safe.

4 comments:

Lady K said...

Great list!

Ananda was also the name of the unicorn in Madeleine L'Engle's Swiftly Tilting Planet. Her definition was, 'to bring joy.' which is the definition in the online dictionary after blissful and name of buddhist disciple.

Thought you would like to know the unicorn connection as you are a member of S.U.L.K. - Super Unicorn Lovers Kabal. (yes, I know cabal is spelt with a C but it's not as cute.)

Quidnunc means to be curious.

Great pics. Love the b/w headshot towards the bottom!

Lady K said...

My mom wants you to add effervescent to your list. The smart girl's bubbly.

Caramel Fritter said...

I think you should also include pulchritude.. i like nifty words. You look very pulchritudious (is that realy a word... i don't care) in those photos.
n : physical beauty (especially of a woman)


Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Pulchritude \Pul"chri*tude\, n. [L. pulchritudo, fr. pulcher
beautiful.]
1. That quality of appearance which pleases the eye; beauty;
comeliness; grace; loveliness.

Piercing our heartes with thy pulchritude. --Court
of Love.

2. Attractive moral excellence; moral beauty.

phone_phobic said...

Should I be worried by fritter's remarks?! No cause they're very true. Wicked top girl. A little wary of your mentioning of three-some? hmmmm.