Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Look at her go! look at her go, go, go! Even as type this, I am watching the clock-- a matter of minutes before I propel myself on coffee fumes out of this smoky internet cafe and into my workplace...

I'd like to say that as I prepare to leave Japan, I am filled with peace and quietude. That I spend my free time gazing as the fresh frilly plum blossoms, and breathing deep of the sunny cool ocean winds that whip through Tokushima. Of course, I do do these things... and a thousand other things besides!

In the past little while I have been working and planning, trying to sell my belongings, teaching private lessons, and socializing my little heart out. Dressing up, going out, swapping shifts to meet and greet and drink and eat and merrymake. Generally speaking, I have been exhausting myself, wonderfully and completely.

A vingette: I went to Kyoto a couple of days ago to get kitted up like a maiko with my friend Jenna... one of those touristy things that I've always wanted to try. The experience of being made-up and dressed was fantastically swift and organized. I had my eyes closed as I was painted white and drawn upon in red and black, and when I opened them... who is that?? My kimono was royal blue with brassy gold pine trees embroidered on the long hem and sleeves. My wig was heavy and ornate. The photographer posed and prodded me into a variety of coy postitions; I wobbled on my geta and twirled an umbrella and I cocked my head this way and that and smiled a cheeky little Mona Lisa smile. I looked... like a freaky cross-dresser. In fact, when I showed the photos to my Japanese friend, he said, "oh, otoko mae (good-looking guy). You would make a better samurai than maiko-san."

I try.

2 comments:

shona said...

that's cool you went and got the photos! where did you get it done at? can we see these photos?

endrene said...

Hahaha! You could see the photos if I had the slightest clue about computers!!