Monday, February 26, 2007

Last week my bike was stolen. At least I thought it was.

On my way to work on Sunday, I got a flat just as I got over the first big bridge. Boooo. I huffed and puffed and struggled my way to work, parked, and made it to class with just moments to spare. I took the bus home that night. The next day, I related my woeful tale to Jeff, who kindly offered to toss me and my bike in the back of his micro-mini van and drive me home, if I would just push my bike over to his house after work. Sounded good. So, after work, I went out to retrieve my injured Crispy only to discover- GASP- it was gone! I puzzled over this. Who steals a locked bike in Japan? Who steals a locked bike with a flat tire?

Nobody, stupid. After a week of riding Jeff's wife's teeny little peach bicycle, I remembered that I had parked my bike on the other side of the mall. It had a flat tire, so going the extra 200 metres was just too much trouble... Mystery solved. Now I just have to return the cobbler-mobile, and remember to bring running shoes for the long push home tomorrow night. Sigh.

The other night when I was at Bubu's house for kimchee nabe he commented on my 'new bicycle'. So related my long and ridiculous tale to him and his family, to which he replied; "En-Chan. Sometimes you are a good teacher. Sometimes you are a happy spirit. And most of the time, you are a foolish person. Baka, desu yo ne!"

2 comments:

Caramel Fritter said...

Dear Endrene,
I must confess i cannot find the ingredients to make good Miso here in Courtenay.... this is disturbing. Now I know i can drive into Naniamo and get the supplies and that the population of people who like Miso in Courtenay is probably limited... I still wish i could find the ingredients thus restoring my faith in this little town...
My ramble aside.
Once apon a time, my parrents agreed that they would meet outside the entrance of a library in Vancouver. My mom had Robert and I and my Dad was finishing up some work and was driving the car. Before we were dropped off in Vancouver the two of them had a bit of a spat.. Nothing too serious, and i don't even know if my mother would recall what it imuptus was. Regardless. She spent the day with two young and (I was VERY energetic as a young lad... almost as energetic as i presently am talkative and or verbaly diaretic) energetic boys in Vancouver. Exhausted she stood at the prescribed time to meet my father. half an hour of waiting passed, and she was not happy, an Hour and she was REALLLLY Not happy, two hours past and well she was crtying, having decided that my father had had enough, taken the car and left the three of us to fend for ourselves in downtown Vancouver. Now the connection to your adventure with the bicycle...
My father was not late. He was not originaly upset that His wife did not show up on time at the agreed upon entrance to the library... however, things change and after two hours of waiting he decided... That is it one good drive arround the area, and then I will have to go home and check the messages (pre cell phone era. I still don't have one) and see if my wife has left me and taken the children, or if something horrid has occured and she couldn't send someone to inform her husband waiting outside the entrance of the library.
NOW WAIT A DARNED minute you might think...how could the both be waiting outside of the library at the same time at the same place and not see each other, especialy for two hours??? You may think Ahah there must be two library's alas, no. The time was correct and the instructions were correct and they were both waiting outside the entrace of the library, one at the east entrance, the other the west. My father was aparently quite pleased, although confused to see his wife waiting for him at the back of the library, when he did his final drive about... Really maybe it is like a Cristo art peice, when you finaly re-see something it is much more real , and special even with a flat tire than it was previous.... afterall, at least it is your size.

Lady K said...

I think he's got it backwards! Most of the time you are a happy spirit and a good teacher, you are only a foolish person some of the time... Just like the rest of us...