Sunday, March 22, 2009

Oh, what a byooootiful morrrrninggggg... oh, what a beautiful day! I love it when I get in these moods. These chipper, gosh-golly-gee, ain't life grand, dorky, unabashedly optomistic moods. The fact that we are going whale watching on a sail boat this afternoon might have a lot to do with it.

The plein aire session last Wednesday was lovely. After strolling around the take a good look at my surroundings, I parked myself in the lot across from the Keawa'ali church and painted for a good three hours. Most of the other artists stopped by to say hello and see what I was up to, and when I was done, I strolled down to the beach to see what they were up to. Watercolour, pen-and-ink, pastel, studies for acrylics and oils. Everyone was so enthusiastic about my little study (which was undeniably uplifting), and they all wished me 'Aloha' as they filtered away. I stayed a little longer at the beach, painting a couple sitting serenely under a rainbow-coloured beach umbrella... pale cerulean sky, turquoise water, rusty sand... before packing up (all the other artists had called it a day by this point), I went over to the couple in the painting to share what I had done and offer them my web address-- in case they wanted to see the work possibly downloaded in the future. They were so thrilled to be part of an artwork that they offered to buy it from me. Of course, I couldn't say no! The painting will no doubt be hanging on the walls of their Wisconsin home, years from now. It gives me a warm feeling to think of the connection to people that my art has allowed me to have over the years.

The days between then and now have been spent in agony over my difficult project (I have 3 days left in Maui, and not a one of the four calligraphy projects are complete), and ecstasy over my surroundings. I have snorkeled nearly to my heart's content (there have been a few rainy days and days with high surf), I have walked and taken photos of every little plant and insect, I have coated myself in sticky masses of sunscreen and smiled nonstop at the world around me. Mary and Maile have been amazing-- both of them becoming good friends to me. I'm sorry to be missing Maile's 14th birthday this coming Friday.

Friday night I went to a stranger's birthday party, the invite coming from a friend of a friend-- and none of said friends in attendance at the party. But any apprehension I might have felt prior to my arrival was dashed away as I crossed the threshold; people in bandanas and dreadlocks warmly invited me in, and offered me glasses of sweet wine and pillows to sit on as I contemplated the enormous floorcloth that was to become Maya's birthday mural. An ART PARTY?! An art BIRTHDAY party?! Why have I never thought of this before? Damn, it was fun! The best part was definitely the people there... what a lovely mish-mash of eclectic world travelers and artistic spirits. I formed a connection with a sprite of a girl named Cori, and promised to return in December to help paint her VW van for her birthday. Daisies and peace signs and rainbows-- oh my! Can we say "dreams coming true" here, please?

Speaking of which, I have plans to see the sunrise from Haleakela crater tomorrow morning. This is one of those 'must do' things on my list of life's goals. And I'm going to do it.

Life is good. So good.

1 comment:

Lovely Leslie said...

Sounds like you are having a blast! good for you! I'll bet you'll be living abroad soon, I envy your lifestyle :)