Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Last night I had a sudden burst of energy after watching Grey’s Anatomy and eating dinner at Sarah’s house, and I rushed home to gather Nate up along with shampoo and conditioner and swimsuits and towels. We were going swimming, and that was that! Usually when Nate harasses me to go swimming I opt out for one reason or another. All excuses, usually.

We went to the pool in Walnut Grove, which has an excellent water slide and an adults-only hot-tub (no splashing, no screaming, no pee-pee in the pool), and a steam room. I usually end the evening in the steam room, sweating like a cheese in August. Sometimes people sneak in with a bottle of cold water and pour some over the thermostat to make it pump out extra steam. Last night it wasn’t very steamy, so I was hoping a bottle-smuggler would appear. My wish is my command! In came this smiling chubby Asian man, very Buddha-esque. He dumped the WHOLE bottle on the thermostat, and laughed when I thanked him. The steam quickly got thick and hot. While he plopped himself down on the top shelf to my right, the other two people in there limply made for the door like overcooked broccoli. I sneaked a glance through the fog at the steam-Buddha beside me… he was doing yoga! Breathing slowly and carefully so that I wouldn’t burn my throat, I tried stretching too- it was fabulous, my muscles like melted butter. I imagined the inside of my body as a cool continent, the exterior only slowly warming. But really, it had never been so hot in there— I eventually had to make for the door myself, leaving the guy folded in half like a jackknife. I had little patches of steam burns on my knees and belly. It was totally worth it. Steam rooms are weird little pockets of society.

*****************************************

The Stanley Park miniature railway is all decked out for the yearly Ghost Train… I am so excited! They start the ride on October 10th, I think. This year, the theme is PIRATES! I’ve only been on it once before with my dad, in 2006 I think. The theme was the Mexican Day of the Dead. It was a blast, very festive and colourful (and only a little scary)! Also, the PNE Playland is opening on the 18th for FRIGHT NIGHTS - I’ve never gone to that before. Tamara and Brad were talking about maybe coming down for both of those… that would be a blast. I haven’t been in a good haunted house for years. Although I did have a dream that the Disney Haunted House had ‘Adult’ alternatives of the ride, which involved experimental mind-bending alternate realities… but that’s another story…

No comments: