Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Still the first to arrive. Not always the last to leave now...

One of the best things about this new phase in my life is the walking. I walk for about 40-45 minutes (it was more like an hour in the first week, when I spent more time poking my head into gaps in the bushes to see what was inside). My walk takes me from the Mt. Pleasant area of Vancouver, down past Science World, along False Creek, and up past B.C. Place to the school. Along the way, I see all kinds of beautiful things, especially in the pink and blue morning light. Patterns are beginning to emerge. When I start out, I make my way through the suburban areas with a mind to take in as much autumn foliage as I can-- I kick through the yellow leaves, and try to make eye contact with the busy walking and biking commuters. I look into people's mossy gardens, and pick out things I like; painted rocks, sunflowers soggy with frost, craggy boulders strategically placed.

There are nutty homeless people, and straight-faced hip urbanites, bustling through exercise routines, all decked out in LuLu Lemon. I see the same guy every other morning with his black dog, rummaging through the Science World garbage bin. There is a guy on a bike that always seems to go by me at the same point on the path. He always wears a red-and-black striped sweater that reminds me of the one that my friend Billy used to wear in high school. There is the same pack of crows along False Creek every morning, preening each other and screaming and searching through discarded McDonald's sacks. When no-one is close by, I try to speak to them in their language. Whenever one looks at me quizzically and fly away, I wonder: did I just say something offensive? Or did I just give her a command, and she is flying off to follow through?

I find this interesting about city people: they will almost never look you full in the face. If you catch them doing so, and toss them a smile, they quickly look away as though it was all a mistake. Only the buskers and the street people will try to catch an eye. Maybe that’s why everyone else looks away; if you make a connection, something will be expected of you. I know it’s not much—but couldn’t a smile be enough? I’m going to start the Vancouver Smile Revolution. I’m going to shine my beautiful fangs at EVERYBODY, whether they like it or not!

Almost time for class.

XXX LOVE and BIG VANCOUVER SMILES TO YOU

Namaste

Endrené

No comments: