Saturday, November 15, 2008

My time with the CELTA course now numbers in hours instead of days. This has been like a year on University crammed into four weeks. My cheeks rae flushed for want of sleep, my eyes crusty, my stomach knotted. I'm not sure what my 'new' life will be like in the next few months.

Small bit of bitching: I have always spelled PRACTICE with a 'c' (the American spelling). During this course, I learned that the UK/Canadian/Australian/et al. spelling of the verb Practice is, in fact, PRACTISE (with an 's'). The noun (like a medical practice) is the 'c' version. So, becoming a grammarian, and an English teacher, I thought it right to ammend my errant 'c'-spelling ways.

I got my paper back. A little red circle was looped around every 's' every time I wrote 'practise'. What the hell?

I am going to stick to practice with a 'c', though it pisses me off, like spelling colour without the 'u'... there are only small things like these that make us Canadian. I am loathe to give them up.

No comments: