Friday, May 18, 2007

Back in Aldergrove now, this little Fraser Valley oasis of sunshine. I can see why mom and dad are often at their wits end(s)... Prince Rupert and Port Ed definitely would have the upper hand in a Canada-wide sogginess competition.

Yesterday I insured Kurosuke, my big black beast of a 1981 Oldsmobile Station Wagon. Right now she's a big black poop beast too, as when I left her hear in Aldergrove I unwittingly parked under a nest of baby pigeons. Their target practice has kind of given my car a reverse Dalmatian effect. Charming. Anyway, no point in washing her this morning, as I'm sure I'll be collecting a variety of insect corpses on my drive up the Hope-Princeton highway. I'll hit the Spray-n-Wash when I pull into Penticton.

Today is the day I embark on the journey that will lead me to what I consider the first major milestone of true adulthood. My first high school reunion. Of course, I'm primed for the usual 'surprises'-- people fatter, thinner, unrecognizable due to surgery. More hair on the guys faces, and less on top. What I'm not prepared for is the feelings that seeing these people will evoke... will it feel like high school all over again? Will it be melancholy or just ridiculous? Are we all really twenty-eight years old, inside and out? I doubt it. Best to go into this fearlessly, just be myself and have fun. That's the best I can do in any situation, every time and everywhere anyway.

No comments: