Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My cousin Christopher prompted me to join Facebook, assuring me that it's safe and easy and fun, blah blah blah. So I joined... all of a sudden I'm in touch with people from elementary school, high school, OUC dorms... random characters of every description can find me and 'poke' me and message me and 'write on my wall'... I'm finding it all a little overwhelming, actually. I'm a neophyte when it comes to the concept of internet communities. I can understand the appeal of keeping in touch when we are all living such widespread lives, but I sometimes think that the internet forces us into clinging to weak connections. There is a natural rhythm to relationships-- sometimes we ought to meet, befriend, and then drift away from one another. We might better appreciate the meaning that a brief encounter imparts.

Then again, I did join. And I do like seeing what everyone is up to. Consider the subject dropped.

I'm still in Prince Rupert-- Port Edward, actually, if I'm being correct about it. Port Ed is the north coast equivalent of Kaleden, BC. Meaning that there is an ancient general store, a miniature post office, an elementary school, a volunteer fire department, and not much else. Houses. Deer.

It has rained every day since my arrival. That, coupled with a bad cold and the fact that our family dog kicked the bucket last summer, means that I've been spending an inordinate amount of time indoors. So I haven't really been enjoying those houses and deer as much as I might like.

Now I'm at the internet cafe in Prince Rupert-- the closest BIG CITY (pop. 15,000?), which is still a good 20 km. away from Port Ed. Mom dropped me off here on her way to her 'Nifty Fifties' walking club.
Mom: "Thirteen times around the gym equals one mile! Want to come, Endrene?"
Me: "Uh. Let me process that information. Hmmm. No, that's ok."

Mom's curious whether I'm considering looking for a job here in Rupert. Uh. Let me process that information. Hmmm. No, that's ok.

Not that this is a bad place. The people are friendly, the seafood is to die for, and the scenery is stunning. But this is a remote place. A remote, wet place. It's hard to get to, too. The ferry that I came up on-- the new ferry-- has been dubbed The Northern Misadventure, and has already been removed from the fleet for refits. A return flight to Vancouver can run anywhere from $500 to $700. And the bus or train can take upwards of 30 hours to get to where I'd want to go.

Gee, seems like I have my nose pretty well turned up.

At any rate, it's good to see my parents. I'm probably going to be in the Okanagan by mid-May, and definitely in time for my 10-year high school reunion. Can you believe that it's that time already? In the meantime, I'm enjoying cruising the province for a suitable community, and I'm checking out my options as far as jobs and further education go... lots of doors wide open. I'll wander the hallways for now.

1 comment:

Lady K said...

I'm facing the Facebook peer pressure myself. It's like stalking drugs at school. I suspect that I'll give in soon.

When you feel the urge to dry out come visit Alberta. It's a twice a day moisturizer kind of place.

Besides the potential of you visiting might spawn the arrival of the perfect couch.